Error: No unit, "Naked"-Units

PVP Warfare forum for discussion, suggestions, and bug reporting for current and upcoming versions
GnaMorg
Donator

Error: No unit, "Naked"-Units

Post#1 » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 9:52 pm

Lately the player markers on my map often don't show the player names and instead show the string "Error: No unit".
The problem was there before but today 3/4 of player markers show this.
https://imgur.com/a/nkt6yix
Vehilcles which are driven by that players also show only "Error: No unit" without the Vehicle name attached. This is a huge problem for me because of FF.
Also i see more and more players "loose" their uniforms and have only their underwaer as uniforms.
Am i the only one with this problem?
Maybe both problems are connected?

(Sry for bad english)

Mudokon
Donator

Re: Error: No unit, "Naked"-Units

Post#2 » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 11:38 pm

I came across the same problems. But I don't think they are connected because players without beeing "Error: No Unit" sometimes still lose their uniform.
The worst part about not having your clothes on is that your armor value also disappears.
The only one who keeps me from winning is my own team

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKSHqz ... subscriber

Toma
Community Member

Post#3 » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 3:13 pm

It's time for EUTW to fix their respawn script https://sqf.bisimulations.com/display/SQF/name

TheMasterofBlubb
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#4 » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 5:10 pm

@toma thats VBS by Bohemia Interactive Simulations , its kinda the big brother of Arma 3

But still could be that there were some changes in Arma 3 too

Toma
Community Member

Post#5 » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 6:03 pm

Same in A3 if use name command https://github.com/michail-nikolaev/task-force-arma-3-radio/issues/1096
name is a very broken command in Arma 3. It will print error messages if the target unit is dead. It will also fail to report a valid name and print "Error: No unit" if the unit is dead for a certain amount of time or when executed in the same frame the unit was created

As I said, the name command cannot be used in the frame the unit is created. This includes respawning.
The best would be to completely avoid relying on name (or vehicleVarName for that matter) in scripting and only use object references.

WARNING: Function 'name' - So-and-so is dead

Do not call name on a dead object. if (alive _obj) then {name _obj};

TheMasterofBlubb
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#6 » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 6:34 pm

@Toma if you read closely you see that it mostly doesnt have to to with the frame since someone wrote that it happens when for example someone has disconnected or between clients with a bad connection(how ever this might do something), but i put it on the list for review if there is maybe a workaround.
But it wont be before Christmas because of a different workload currently in the pipeline, that will come soon ™

3Hugger
Community Member

Post#7 » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 11:05 am

I bet we could scan for the 'Error no unit' every x minutes and reset the status?

Toma
Community Member

Post#8 » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 3:12 pm

No you just need to fix respawn script :bump: ...don't complicate just find the script that makes this problem.

3Hugger
Community Member

Post#9 » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 4:03 pm

I know there are volunteers who offered their help to dev. EUTW.
Let's hope this get's some traction....

TheMasterofBlubb
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#10 » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 4:29 pm

@Toma Gippo knows about this problem, BUT the error comes randomly on random clients or the server. If it would be the respawn script itself it would cause much more problems to everyone. What we have on the server is more like at some point the server says you are not a player anymore. after that you are not recognized by name. There are sure workarounds , but for their nature they dont solve the core problem and sometimes cause others too.

Toma
Community Member

Post#11 » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 10:57 pm

TheMasterofBlubb wrote:.... BUT the error comes randomly on random clients or the server.....

No... just check your .rpt file and see how many this messages you have:
WARNING: Function 'name' - xxxxxxxx REMOTE has no unit
- network id xxxxx
- person xxxxx

And on some point they start to be "Error no unit" guys.

TheMasterofBlubb
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#12 » Tue 25 Dec, 2018 8:30 pm

I personally have logs disabled on my Client but if you want you can pastebin the rpt and tell me what server it was i can check waht the server said at that time. The problem here is i havent had this error for a very long time, do you have it often?

TheMasterofBlubb
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#13 » Tue 25 Dec, 2018 8:54 pm

WARNING: Function 'name' - So-and-so is dead

Do not call name on a dead object. if (alive _obj) then {name _obj};

this is for when your rpt gets spammed with the message you have and a "dead" at the end.

Toma
Community Member

Post#14 » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 4:57 pm

TheMasterofBlubb wrote:I personally have logs disabled on my Client but if you want you can pastebin the rpt and tell me what server it was i can check waht the server said at that time. The problem here is i havent had this error for a very long time, do you have it often?

From last night. I don't remember which server but map is EUTW_2_07_06_LIMNI https://pastebin.com/UkT3Lfdu

GiPPO
EUTW Management

Post#15 » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 12:03 am

How to fix the respawn script?
Actually the name is a default value if the set name (at the client join) is not available. But if this bug happens, the player also loses all of the set variable on the player unit itself. And it can be specific to each client or server even, eg: sometimes only the server fails to get the name.

So... the map and the nametag (and every script which uses the name) is always getting it at that moment when it needs it.

@Toma: I see that you are an experienced in this. Could you help us please what could be causing this issue? because it has been happening for years and we haven't tried at all to fix it.
"If It Isn't Documented, It Doesn't Exist"

TheMasterofBlubb
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#16 » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 2:07 am

21:40:00 Unit B Alpha 1-2:1 (0x7c04a140) - network ID 2:20620
21:40:00 - no person

This looks like something executed each frame

But @Toma if you think that the name error come from calling name in the frame where there is no character (aka respawning) but why then it shouldnt work after that. @Gippo i expect that name is called every now and then. So either Arma breaks when calling name wrong or there is more

TheMasterofBlubb
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#17 » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 2:27 am

22:39:45 WARNING: Function 'name' - 178f82440# 1891292: ia_soldier_01.p3d REMOTE has no unit
22:39:45 - network id 658:97
22:39:45 - person Cpt.JET

Probably thats called name on a respawning player, not dead because that would say that

21:21:18 Error in expression <0.75 * EXT_DRIVE_DIRT_VOLUME * DRIVE_DIRT_CONDI>
21:21:18 Error position: <EXT_DRIVE_DIRT_VOLUME * DRIVE_DIRT_CONDI>
21:21:18 Error Undefined variable in expression: ext_drive_dirt_volume

This came after buying a I_MRAP_03_hmg_F (Strider HMG) as greefor

As for this:

21:16:34 Group R Alpha 3-1 (0x53236e80) - network ID 2:22861
21:16:34 - no main subgroup

i found that this can happen due to initplayerlocal beeing called multiple times, but the error there was a bit different and should have been fixed in1.58 RC. Problem was people switching Slots in JIP

Toma
Community Member

Post#18 » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 12:31 pm

@GiPPO I'm not scripter but maybe this can give you some idea how to fix this error https://github.com/acemod/ACE3/pull/363 ... 994a034459

3Hugger
Community Member

Post#19 » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 1:21 pm

some traits which are known to some, but not to all:

Sometimes, but not always the player it concerns has limits on:

- voice chat: stops hearing some or all teammates;
- text chat: global however seems to function most often as exception;
- markers, similar as above text chat;
- characternametag attached next to vehicles, not inside;
- character does not count in circle (so can hide for enemy as they see uncontested circle) captures no points;
- always (?) shows the ' error no unit' name tag, but not always to everyone;
- sometimes the name disappears completely (no
or empty name tag)
- group menu / system does function poorly or not at all.