[new layout Tanoa] Water War (Lite)

Discussion, Help, and Mission Presentation forum for the PVP Warfare Mission Tool
MRabbit
Donator

[new layout Tanoa] Water War (Lite)

Post#1 » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 10:32 pm

Layout: Water War (Lite Version)
Author: MRabbit
Faction 1: Opfor
Faction 2: Independent

Information about the map design:
There it is: my map without the possibility to go everywhere by mhq. Some may say: "Yes man, I waited for this, I hate to use the mhq as the only way to fast travel." Others will probably say: "Wow, this is shit, the game is about using the mhq for tactical gameplay and so on."
The main reason to me is to use the other alternative ways to come to an AO. We have water, so we should use boats or amphibian vehicles. We have the airspace, so we should use transport helicopters. On this map, the best way to use the MHQ is to park it close to one of the harbours on the HQ-island. There is a total amount of 10 harbours (3 boat service points), so more than enough to go different ways by boat - this makes it a total new way of fighting! The two smaller islands in the middle have connected harbours to the flag, so there are only 4 possible harbours for military boats and a close area for boat fights, which is not as easy as you probably think. Like I said, every flag has a harbour to travel to and from. To make it a little "easier" to travel between those two smaller islands I have built a selfmade bridge - defend it and hold the bridge like its a flag!
I want to try out this different style of the interpretation of PVP Warfare and hope we cant try this map and find out if its possible to use that way of playing with the MHQ more in the backround.

PICTURES --- open the spoiler!
Hidden Text
THE MAP

Flag HOSTEL

Flag GREEN VALLEY

Flag DOCKLAND

Flag BONE ISLAND

Flag TRAIN STATION

Flag MOUNTAIN VIEW

Greetz,
MRabbit :rocker:

Nyles
EUTW Management

Re: [new layout Tanoa] Water War (Lite)

Post#2 » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 11:47 pm

Technically, this layout violates some of our rules regarding both bases being on the same body of land. The reason for this is that we want to avoid frustration when players buy non-amphibious vehicles and the front-line moves away from their base island, leaving them stranded behind.

MRabbit
Donator

Post#3 » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 10:17 am

Nyles wrote:Technically, this layout violates some of our rules regarding both bases being on the same body of land. The reason for this is that we want to avoid frustration when players buy non-amphibious vehicles and the front-line moves away from their base island, leaving them stranded behind.

I didnt know about a rule to have both HQs on the same body of land, sorry for that. But I dont get your point with the problem about being stranded behind with normal vehicles, thats exactly what I wanted and described in the infotext. This map should be something new, without having the possibility to go everywhere by car/ truck. Thats why there is boatshops everywhere and we can buy helicopters and so on. The big transport helicopters can even lift trucks - time to use that!

Nyles
EUTW Management

Post#4 » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 6:38 pm

But they cannot lift certain heavier gear. So you buy an APC, like a Panther to push back the enemies on your island. You manage to do so and the front/line moves off the island your vehicle is on. In order for you to be able to continue using the vehicle you just purchased for a lot of money, you would need to wait until the frontline is pushed back towards you. If your team is doing well, you are basically stranded behind, forcing you to either sit and wait or abandon your precious vehicle to catch up with your team.

MRabbit
Donator

Post#5 » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 6:50 pm

Nyles wrote:But they cannot lift certain heavier gear. So you buy an APC, like a Panther to push back the enemies on your island. You manage to do so and the front/line moves off the island your vehicle is on. In order for you to be able to continue using the vehicle you just purchased for a lot of money, you would need to wait until the frontline is pushed back towards you. If your team is doing well, you are basically stranded behind, forcing you to either sit and wait or abandon your precious vehicle to catch up with your team.

Yeah now I get it, but I dont get why the game shouldnt work either? I wanted to change the way of fighting a bit and on this map, as you say, a big tank like a panther isnt that usefull, so othere tactics are needed. The focus here is on the boats and helicopter transport. Do you have an idea what to change? Only because the tanks cant be moved out of the island is no reason to me to not play this map.

esfumato
Donator

Post#6 » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 7:52 pm

For this kind of layouts other vehicles should be needed as mhqs. Like EUTW is now, you can't respawn in different islands. You have to rely on massive paradrops and capture the sectors without respawn, Thing that is barely impossible in public servers...

Think that ppl don't drive mhqs and can't manage to fast travel properly. :banghead:

Also, as it is lite, helliopters are even more expensive!!!!

Likbjorn
PVP Warfare Dev

Post#7 » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 9:29 am

Layout is interesting, but Nyles has strong arguments. Well what I can suggest is to move HQs to main Tanoa and leave there at least 3 objectives connected to each other. Therefore teams will be able to support main part of archipelago with vehicles and MHQs. None becomes left frustrated when frontline moves away. And main frontline can be left on water. With precaptured flags, of course. So you put focus on mobility and transport, however it still can be played partially as before.

esfumato
Donator

Post#8 » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:16 am

Another option, as Railway Bridge layout have demonstrated, you can do your own bridges to connect all the sectors. The game can handle big amount of objects with no performnce lost.

https://forums.eutw.net/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=6250

1270 objects in one layout, and works fine.

Michael_McCloud
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#9 » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:36 am

esfumato wrote:Another option, as Railway Bridge layout have demonstrated, you can do your own bridges to connect all the sectors. The game can handle big amount of objects with no performnce lost.

https://forums.eutw.net/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=6250

1270 objects in one layout, and works fine.

How did you count the objects?
Would like to count mine on my current work ^^
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Once more into the fray.
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day.

HaseDesTodes
Donator

Post#10 » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:41 am

select all objects, go to attributes, look in the top line, ith sould count it for you

and the layout has even more objects in the released version, the WIP one had 1270^^

Michael_McCloud
PVP Warfare Admin

Post#11 » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:35 am

Thx Mate ^^
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Once more into the fray.
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

GiPPO
EUTW Management

Post#12 » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:52 pm

Changelog:

Moved northern HQ's boatshop down to the south a bit
Repositioned both HQ's boat service points to be closer to the actual boatshops.
Moved some boatshops higher (for the case of waves)
Useful fact: you can select "flag only" for boatshops, so you can build your own objects without using the default compositions (or just place the flag on an already existing pier) - feel free to redesign if you want.

I hid the bushes at some boatshops.

Eg: for an invisible helipad

Code: Select all

if (isServer) then
{
{_x setdamage 1; _x hideObjectGlobal true;} foreach nearestTerrainObjects[getpos this, ["bush"],20];
deletevehicle this
};

Aligned the UAV service point with the airstrip and also added another one south.

The problem:
Tbh, I feel it will suffer the same gameplay as Railway bridge, except now there's no bridge at all. Even more so, because all objectives are on a separate island...

I will discuss this layout with the others if we should allow it. Even our guidelines (which may have been ignored even by us lately, but seeing the complaints about quality control I think it makes sense to look at it) says otherwise:

Both HQs have to be on the same body of land (or multiple as long as they are connected via a bridge)
The majority of all objectives have to be on the same body of land as the two bases.
Any chokepoints have to be reachable by land vehicles and cannot be on hard to access islands.
"If It Isn't Documented, It Doesn't Exist"

MRabbit
Donator

Post#13 » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 1:20 pm

Hey Gippo,

thank you for even take a look of it!
After playing Railway Bridge a couple times, I think my layout wont work at the moment. You are right with the guidelines, I ignored them to get something new, which I hoped would work. But Im not sure anymore.

The guide lines should become more priority to not get lost of the quality of the maps!
Its up to you admins now with this map. When you give the ok, Ill keep working on it, if you vote against it, its totally fine with me!

CertainDeath
Community Member

Post#14 » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 3:50 pm

Maybe we need some alternative LITE to make something like this work.

Where f.e. Transport Choppers and amphibic vehicles are cheaper, a ruleset for watermaps and bridgemaps. could be interesting then. With current rules, i would not want to play this.
The idea itself is interesting, but experience tells, that it wont work well.
OPT: CSAT SQL of Recon Squad "Bravo"
http://www.operation-pandora.de/

GiPPO
EUTW Management

Post#15 » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 8:53 pm

MRabbit wrote:Hey Gippo,

thank you for even take a look of it!
After playing Railway Bridge a couple times, I think my layout wont work at the moment. You are right with the guidelines, I ignored them to get something new, which I hoped would work. But Im not sure anymore.

The guide lines should become more priority to not get lost of the quality of the maps!
Its up to you admins now with this map. When you give the ok, Ill keep working on it, if you vote against it, its totally fine with me!

Thank you for your understanding. We've decided to reject this one as we feel it won't play well with the current mission.
We might make these kind of layouts viable in the future, but I cannot tell it for sure. Same goes with the layouts with objectives on water (capture circle extending into water area).
"If It Isn't Documented, It Doesn't Exist"