Jet tips

General Discussion and help related to the main Arma 3 game title. All PVP Warfare threads should be directed to the Discussions, Suggestions, and Bugs forum.
Steve0
Donator

Jet tips

Post#1 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 2:11 pm

I have been chatting a bit to Quade and MOR about jet camera etc so though I would dump the info on here in case anyone else finds it useful.

Disclaimer:
I can survive a reasonable amount of time in a jet but there are many guys who are far better and more experienced pilots, any corrections are appreciated.

Landing
McQuade found this footage which is awesome, but looks like it was from pre 1.68 so has the old flight model and also is low quality that I cant see approach speed etc very easily.

This was my attempt at the NW af, not a great example but it gets the idea across. I was a bit high/fast/hard landing for my liking but I'm too lazy to do it again and pefkas bay is warming up on #1 :)
For Neophron landing
  1. Get setup a good 3km from AF
  2. Deploy full flaps + gear
  3. Hold Z until you get speed to ~300km/h, you may need to use pitch up/down to bleed extra speed.
  4. Release Z and just glide at that speed, use minimal control inputs to maintain your approach.
  5. Aim for ~100m alt to begin with then slowly reduce altitude as you approach, I prefer to take a nice and flat approach path although any airfield campers will cause you problems. (Wipeout you can take a very aggressive landing approach - buzzard and neo are harder)
  6. As you get within 1km slow to 280km/hr (Using Z to slow, then releasing after)
  7. at 100-200m from AF hold Z again until you land, you will need to pitch up the nose up a ton to avoid smashing down too hard.

Has anyone been able to take off from the NW AF using the runway? I haven't been able to reliably do it.

Multi-function camera
This fella gives a reasonable explanation about it

A couple of things to note
  • Jets do not have the laser deseg by default (except the CAS buzzard)
  • You can use control+T to lock toggle locking the view to area, this way you can hold a lock on either a vehicle or area of the ground. Its far easier to use than explain :)
  • To snipe the infantry like he does you probably need to have a joystick setup alongside kb+mouse. I personally have not found a comfortable way of doing this with kb+mouse bindings. I would appreciate any suggestions of how to do it?

This guy shows a good example of how you can use it in practice, along with the new CCIP indicator.

It would be cool to get a discussion going, share tips etc?
Last edited by Steve0 on Sat 15 Apr, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrCy4nide
Donator

Re: Jet tips

Post#2 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 2:36 pm

This is really handy for anyone needing to learn! I land the Neo a little different but could never get a reliable landing on Abdera AF, this is a better way of doing it! I haven't managed to reliably takeoff from there but flaps all the way down helps on takeoff.

I will say that some things are going to change with the Jets DLC and I highly recommend downloading the Dev branch because the new Jets are on it!!! The new hud will make landing easier as the run way is highlighted on your screen so judging a landing on the smaller airfields is far easier. Also, the new jets take a lot more punishment on landing, for instance my first landing with the Shikra on Abdera AF I landed too short on the edge of the ditch on the NE side of the AF and only sustained minor damage to Fuel, gear, and Hull.

The other reason I recommend the new Dev branch is that jets are a little different to fly now too with a thruster % which you increase/decrease incrementally. If you use flight stick this makes jets nicer to fly IMO but GoodGuySteven was finding it took a little getting used to with Keyboard/Mouse.

McQuade
Donator

Post#3 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 5:33 pm

MrCy4nide wrote:
Also, the new jets take a lot more punishment on landing, for instance my first landing with the Shikra on Abdera AF I landed too short on the edge of the ditch on the NE side of the AF and only sustained minor damage to Fuel, gear, and Hull.

Those Aircraft is not made for landing on such runway, most of the Aircrafts in Arma 3 Vanilla are not made for this, the only suitable ones are the BLUFOR ones, i don´t know why, but they can take-off everythere, while his counterparts of other Factions needs a longer runway to get there nose up.

Actually the Shikra needs 350 km/h to take-off, also his internal bombay is smaller then his BLUFOR counterpart, while even the Independent Variant with Single engine can take-off at 200km/h + - I hope they will change this or Shikra would be another Plane that would be in real, an superior Aircraft, but in Arma 3 just an cannon fodder and Balance Victim for KOTH/Lifemod crowds.

I guess if the Aircraft cannot Land on that Airport with Landing Autopilot then it is not really suitable for him, maybe in upcoming Layouts this should be considered, i mean BLUFOR will have it now easier with his tailhook, instant brake :lol:
Nyles wrote:It's 2035. The game offers modern tech and I don't really want to take that out. It is not Cold War, it is the near future.

M.O.R
Banned

Post#4 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 8:38 pm

Oh boy. That's almost like mando missile :o time to fly jets again

Nyles
EUTW Management

Post#5 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 9:30 pm

Haven't had the time to check this out in detail yet, it could it be that the payload affects the weight and thus the time to take off? It would make sense at least.

scratch
Community Member

Post#6 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 10:58 pm

im drunk and im not read the whole post.. shame on me, but want comment this, so, this landing is wrong (both tips)

Lt.Elvis
Donator

Post#7 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 11:23 pm

scratch wrote:im drunk and im not read the whole post.. shame on me, but want comment this, so, this landing is wrong (both tips)

Yes.

:cheers:
Hail to the King(s)
010001000110010101110011011101000111001001101111011110010010000001000001011011000110110000100000010010000111010101101101011000010110111001110011

scratch
Community Member

Post#8 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 1:41 pm

when you landing and touch the ground pull jet nose up - this will slow down you faster and add additional armor to the jet against bushes, fences and other shit things on the airstrip ;)

scratch
Community Member

Post#9 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 2:33 pm

Not a Neophrone, but this goes for every jet

McQuade
Donator

Post#10 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 3:57 pm

Actually we focusing on Altis, so please an re-up with Altis footage :D
Nyles wrote:It's 2035. The game offers modern tech and I don't really want to take that out. It is not Cold War, it is the near future.

scratch
Community Member

Post#11 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 7:35 pm

McQuade wrote:Actually we focusing on Altis, so please an re-up with Altis footage :D

funny (no)

McQuade
Donator

Post#12 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:38 pm

scratch wrote:funny (no)

This doesn´t changes the Fact that we are actually have more troubles in Altis small run-ways then on Tanoa.

Steve0
Donator

Post#13 » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 2:20 am

MrCy4nide wrote:... but flaps all the way down helps on takeoff.

Oh really, I never tested but heard that flaps down just 1 is the optimal? Scratch/Maq that sounds like something you guys would have tested?

M.O.R wrote:Oh boy. That's almost like mando missile :o time to fly jets again

Please do :)

scratch wrote:when you landing and touch the ground pull jet nose up - this will slow down you faster and add additional armor to the jet against bushes, fences and other shit things on the airstrip ;)

I never thought about the armor side of things, thats a real nice tip

crogeek
Banned

Post#14 » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 10:54 am

Yesterday I have managed for a first time to land on shitty/rigged airport, thanks to Promicek's tips in which explained to me that the problem I had with speed, if you land with flaps down and with max 230kmh then you're good to go, speed is everything and of course not missing the airport - before it was IMPOSSIBLE at least for me (ye I did errors with pulled off flaps lol and not controlling the speed, but I got feeling that previously it was much much harder to land on those airports) - but it was easy to land on good Altis airport(s) before for me, but Steve you mention yesterday that BIS patched something up about this? - So what is new?
I will try today to test my landing mission with neophron at those shitty Altis airports which look like local airports of my shitty hole where I am living, also neo is a flying fast brick so controlling its speed is for me at least heavier than on a10.
A10 is damn amazing, yesterday I will never forget this stalled round which lasted for hours. I earned like 200k of money and I bought like 3 jets, all of them I donated and also somebody donated me yesterday the jet but I forgot the name of this guy, I flied like 1.5 hours until GREENFOR (trolls) decided to camp our airport with static AAs, yes I finally learned how to land on shitty airports without single crash yet - after 3k hours playing on EUTW. BRAVO ME! (rofl)
And I can't wait for new jets to come, yaaay!

scratch
Community Member

Post#15 » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 12:41 pm

Tested before 1.68 on buzzard. 20 take off with comparing frame by frame. In average with flaps have set down only once it take off 1-2m faster than with a fully flaps down

Steve0
Donator

Post#16 » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 1:04 pm

crogeek wrote: Steve you mention yesterday that BIS patched something up about this? - So what is new?

I'm still fairly new to jets so Scratch probably knows more detail. I can say for certain that once you touch the ground you slow down much faster since 1.68.

scratch wrote:Tested before 1.68 on buzzard. 20 take off with comparing frame by frame. In average with flaps have set down only once it take off 1-2m faster than with a fully flaps down

somehow i knew you would have tested this :)

I noticed that in 1.69 flaps down once is labeled Landing while full down is labeled take off.

scratch
Community Member

Post#17 » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 3:07 pm

Steve0 wrote:
crogeek wrote:
somehow i knew you would have tested this :)

I noticed that in 1.69 flaps down once is labeled Landing while full down is labeled take off.

:D

interesting how it will be

mik
Donator

Post#18 » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 3:08 pm

Not a flying tip but may be useful if you have the "no hud" and "auto zoom in and out" bugs.
Last time that happened to me I found out that can be solved by going as passenger(ffv position) in the back of MHQ; probably will work with other vehicles too.

scratch
Community Member

Post#19 » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 5:59 pm

Or, you can go to lobby. And, you better do :)

scratch
Community Member

Post#20 » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 11:01 pm

Quick brief into new version of Neophrone:
AA missiles not work,
AG working only if you aiming your target untill it will not be killed
tail controlling not working and lead to jet shaking (turbulence like)
edit: if you use mouse while flying, you use both wings and tail
vertical takeoff now working worse (edit: it not work at all)
speed acceleration now low, much closer to an old a10
jet maneuverability now worse, feels like flying on a very heavy jet, it completely a different jet now
you don't have to use flares to dodge from AA/MR missiles
radar work worse

landing changed, taking off speed now around 180-190

driving a car in Russia gives much more impressions than flying on that

scratch
Community Member

Post#21 » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 2:05 pm

Comparison

Steve0
Donator

Post#22 » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 11:21 am

Damn, that's a shame about the neo. It was always such fun to fly.

I very quickly flew the A10 and found the same thing about the flight model, it felt much heavier than before/didn't accelerate as quickly/lost speed quicker in turns.

:(

Likbjorn
PVP Warfare Dev

Post#23 » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:24 pm

Well, that's good for ground forces. When the jet is in the sky, the game for infantry ends... Now it's at least easier to destroy them.

M4JOR1S
Donator

Post#24 » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 4:57 pm

C.W. Lemoine a youtube channel from a former F18 Airforce pilot who play some DCS with VR, you can learn how to look around in a jet.