20.06.2015 - Bornholm Event [Update]

Old Threads which are not relevant anymore
aTWar
Special Operations Management

Re: 20.06.2015 - Bornholm Event [Update]

Post#26 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 12:21 am

As much as i love the added realism of Task Force Radio for the purpose of an open to public event i feel it would suffice to create sub channels within the Teamspeak for each squad (which any admin or donator i believe can do - and does - on request)
T4H Arma 3 Units
REVELATION 6:8 "And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

Elvis_FIN
Donator

Post#27 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 3:57 am

Was very fun on first experience even quite few players. New map was refreshing, layout good nice battles.

Guys, get in to this event. EUTW has done lot of work for us to have more fun. Hope to see much more people on this later on this weekend!

Thanks EUTW, nice work!

Elvis_FIN
Donator

Post#28 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 4:00 am

-iC-@War wrote:As much as i love the added realism of Task Force Radio for the purpose of an open to public event i feel it would suffice to create sub channels within the Teamspeak for each squad (which any admin or donator i believe can do - and does - on request)

I would say more sub channels would be good (in every server). And possibility to use channel commanders to communicate between sub channels. If more people use TS, then one channel is not enough or good idea. It will be a mess.

dali
Community Member

Post#29 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:58 am

is it just running on a server with Advanced Flight Model - On ? hope there is one with no Advanced Flight Model

railey1990
EUTW Management

Post#30 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:11 am

AFM is deactivated
Science doesn't care what you believe.

Joe90
Donator

Post#31 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 11:40 am

I am not really a big fan of milsim and I do not enjoy fiddling with radio frequencies, but good communications 3d position and radio are essential.

Being able to easily talk to someone who is stood next to you and hear an enemy talking near by is not milsim its natural.

Setting up Acre2 or TFAR is no more complex than installing teamspeak and setting up whisper keys. (Apart from mission and server side setup)

I don't think anyone already using teamspeak and the whisper function, would have a problem installing and using acre2 or tfar and probably has used at least one of them already.

Using a radio mod would encourage clans/squads to use the EUTW teamspeak server rather than there own.

So apart from the broken ARMA3 comms, its the ones who are not using teamspeak that are the problem and how you can encourage them to use it easily.
Denying everyone else Acre2 or TFAR does not solve this problem.

Acre2 Tutorial : This is a good video and it describes how much acre2 positional audio has improved.

GanzinoDaSigna
Donator

Post#32 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 2:17 pm

Elvis_FIN wrote:Guys, get in to this event. EUTW has done lot of work for us to have more fun. Hope to see much more people on this later on this weekend!

Thanks EUTW, nice work!

+1

Some players reported FPS issues with Bornholm map, but I have encoutered any; had several connection troubles and lag, but is my internet connection to blame.
First impression: nice to move on a completely new ground, more challenging to guess how to get close or where to find cover.
It would be nicer with more players for sure, I hope in this 2 days event more people will join the server.
The layout we played, with very close flag points, is supposed to be a no stop fight until one side reach the 6th flag; so I think with more players the fightings should be really interesting.
In this environment the ghillie suit gives a real important advantage to sniper class, cause was really hard to spot them when lying on the ground.
IMO tanks and attack choppers should be left out of the fight, cause the layout seem well suited for infantry only fightings, and introducing heavy armoured vehicles or choppers will ruin part of the scenario.

I have to report a bug: every time I chose the MHQ B for respawn, I respawned at base; it happens sometimes in other layouts, but in this one it happened every single time.

A big thank to EUTW team for keeping their efforts in getting best performances, best layouts and great support in this awesome game mode! :cheers:
Chance favors the prepared mind

[PAC] VOY
Community Member

Post#33 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi.
If I can say something:

1. Communication - TS subchannel and wisper to squad leaders is good idea.
2. TFR (task Force Radio) is the best idea but I dont know is this community (EUTW) ready for it.
3. Last night missions construction (frontline) - great idea. In my opinion the best layout of EUTW missions. In first minutes of battle in game was something small like TEAMWORK. EUTW squad was attacking and 2nd Squad was defending. It never happens on another EUTW servers - there we have only Rambo players and everyone play alone.
4. Island Bornholm - really hard thats why more ppl left. More easy is but the ass on hill, take DLC shit in hands and waiting. I think we need find another level of players. Make a new name for this server - ELITE FORCES OPERATIONS - EUTW :)
5. I think on this island we need to play some special missions - medium maps for infantry squads with medium vehicles support (APCs, HMG cars, GMG cars, transport choppers). It can make this mission more tactical. Maybe ppl start cooperate with transport and supporting.
6. Last thing - PLZ remove from this good mission this DLC shit. I mean DLC was dedicated to marksmans/snipers. Why You made from EUTW missions SNIPERS TDM? OK lets say ppl like it and You guys make for them 3,4... servers. Plz make 1 server for ELITE FORCES OPERATIONS. Last night when a game was started the battle was the best fight I saw on EUTW servers. Offcource after 20 minutes first DLC shooters started killing this nice battle. After 40 minutes on server was 5 vs 6 (if I good remember).

Thats all from me. I just want to say only ELITE FORCES stay to the end. You know what I mean ODK Guys and Elvis right :)

Cheers, VOY

Dennis Truman
Community Member

Post#34 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:35 pm

How can i join this server?
Please help me to join this server, whats the easy way to install this map?

void
EUTW Management

Post#35 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:45 pm

Download the Map here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27056
Follow the instructions provided on the site and you should be fine
Unix Time wrote:On 4 December 292,277,026,596 64-bit versions of the Unix time stamp would cease to work. This is not anticipated to pose a problem, as this is longer than the time it would take the Sun to expand to a red giant and swallow the Earth.

aTWar

Post#36 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:16 pm

I think the layout was small because it was just a quick small one made? Think I remember Perry saying that tonight's will be different.
T4H Arma 3 Units
REVELATION 6:8 "And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

Dennis Truman
Community Member

Post#37 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:50 pm

Its downloading now, do i need to be white listed?
Hope to see some "Squad" servers soon :p

[PAC] VOY
Community Member

Post#38 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:14 pm

New Bornholm is out right now!
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27059

Server will be updated?

Joe90
Donator

Post#39 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:29 pm

I hope so, mines just auto updated on steam workshop
Good news(Optimized terrain by removing 39,000 trees. Terrain should be less taxing.)

void
EUTW Management

Post#40 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:55 pm

[PAC] VOY wrote:New Bornholm is out right now!
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27059

Server will be updated?

As this event is running until tomorrow night and not longer, we will not update the map.
Unix Time wrote:On 4 December 292,277,026,596 64-bit versions of the Unix time stamp would cease to work. This is not anticipated to pose a problem, as this is longer than the time it would take the Sun to expand to a red giant and swallow the Earth.

Dennis Truman
Community Member

Post#41 » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 9:48 pm

omg rip bornholm :(

Elvis_FIN
Donator

Post#42 » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 11:50 pm

Was fun, but again too few players. Next time shut down all other servers for few hours :D

zef
Community Member

Post#43 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:10 am

True, not a lot of players :( There were around 10 or so guys who tried to join, but didn't have the map - perhaps advertise on the main servers' chat next time, as not many folks use these forums.
OTOH, it was quite enjoyable with the smaller layouts and less people, felt more coherent. Larger percentage of players in the game was also on TS, perhaps due to the fact that it was mainly the 'regulars' who tend to read the forums and join TS anyway... chicken and egg kind of thing.

As much as I'd like to 'force' casuals to get on Bornholm or other non-vanilla map >:), shutting down other servers wouldn't be a good idea IMO.
A few screeenies from Bornholm on those whiteboards in HQ might raise awareness - we all know how much folks tend to linger in HQ, might as well expose them to some advertising :P

void
EUTW Management

Post#44 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:24 am

We advertised this event through our Steam Page and Forums two weeks in advance.

Also, the poll I ran was also a huge factor in this - it is a pitty that almost no one appeared when the server was up.
As this was such a huge flop, we might not doing this anytime soon again.

I still hope that those who were on the server had a good time.

GiPPO
EUTW Management

Post#45 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:29 am

Well, personally I would still give this thing a chance, no reason to bury it after a weekend.
"If It Isn't Documented, It Doesn't Exist"

Elvis_FIN
Donator

Post#46 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 1:04 am

GiPPO wrote:Well, personally I would still give this thing a chance, no reason to bury it after a weekend.

I agree. What will it hurt if this servers stays as Bornholm for now? Update it with Bornholm 1.4 and leave it running with those 3 maps. I suppose 3 other servers can offer enough capacity for Altis play? Maybe in time people find this and get well populated. Would be great if player that is connecting who do not have Bornholm map, gets a message that Bornholm map is needed to connect, if that is possible.

`oMBre
Donator

Post#47 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 9:06 am

GiPPO wrote:Well, personally I would still give this thing a chance, no reason to bury it after a weekend.

+1

Was fun. Beautyful map, and nice layout! I even had a better framerate than on altis.

zef
Community Member

Post#48 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:07 am

Looking at this from a marketing perspective, I can observe the following issues:

Product/Service availability
This is basic, elementary, a must. Whatever we're 'selling' must exist on the 'market'.
Maybe some players weren't able to take part on the specific weekend, maybe they said they would than changed their minds. Who knows/cares. Two days are not enough to launch a new 'thing' - the map needs to appear in the server browser constantly for it to be even possible to 'catch on'. Two weeks would be a minimum. Month is more realistic.

Adequate advertising
Steam page and forums are by no means enough to put the word out. We must advertise on media that actually reaches the intended audience. First instance is the game browser itself, since it doubles as both a distribution channel (see above) and medium. A catchy server name is a good start. In-game announcements on other servers are a must. Word of mouth is the best. Engaging other players as some of us did during the weekend is by far the most efficient way we can employ.

aTWar

Post#49 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:44 am

^^^^

Love the idea of Poster in map. Am not familiar with Map Editing Arma but if you can put a whiteboard up explaining Mortars could do one explaining Events but maybe much MUCH bigger??

Again though like i said i do not know how long these things take.

Finally a HUGE thank you to EUTW involved in doing this (Peryton for map modes for definite). Having organised things like this in the past on BF3/4 before they got shit I know how tough it can be.

So thanks again and hopefully this isnt the end.

My 2 Cents would be event with registration. Set start and end time (Max 4 hours). Whitelist only. Advertise as above and on whiteboards. But most importantly registration requests in a forum thread. Failure to arrive in game if registered for match = removal from whitelist for next event.
T4H Arma 3 Units

BIM
Donator

Post#50 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 11:12 am

+1

It was the midsummer-weekend so many ppl (in countries that celebrate midsummer) were somewhere else than home.